The spring term SIP visit will continue to target teaching, learning and assessment as it has in previous years to support the evidence base for overall quality of education judgements.
In most schools the visit will focus on the Intent for, and Implementation of, the curriculum and how this affects the quality of education. Activities will include:
1) A curriculum review in Reading (primary) or English (secondary) and another subject chosen by the school covering-
- Discussion with senior leaders regarding the intent of the curriculum
- Discussion with subject leaders regarding long and medium term planning and the rationale for curriculum sequencing
- A learning walk and work scrutiny to observe the sequencing of learning across the school
- Discussion with teachers
- Hearing pupils read
- Discussion with pupils regarding ‘knowing and remembering more’. What recall do they have of key learning facts and skills they have studied?
2) Make a check on progress against the key areas for improvement and targets. Confirm predictions re end of year outcomes.
3) Focus on provision for SEND and disadvantaged.
SIP’s have received guidance on this approach which contains activities they are all well versed in and have experience of implementing at a range of schools.