The Great North Maths Hub would like to invite you to nominate pupils to attend Saturday morning Royal Institution (Ri) Mathematics Masterclasses at The Central Exchange, NE30 1SE on 6 dates in September and October, free of charge.
Ri Mathematics Masterclasses are a series of workshops which are led by experts from industry, academia and education. They offer students in-depth investigations of topics in maths combining theory with interactive exploration. We will open their eyes to the world of maths and hope to inspire them to continue their engagement with the subject.
Students nominated should be in Year 9 in 2017/18 and be judged to have potential and interest in the classes. We aim to challenge students who are well-motivated and curious about mathematics. They are required to attend all six classes in a series. They should only be invited to attend one series, so please check that they have not been nominated for Ri Masterclasses in another subject this academic year.
Teachers from all nominating schools are encouraged to attend one or more of the sessions as active helpers. This additional support benefits the session leaders and students, and gives teachers the opportunity to view their subject in a new context.
- Identify no more than four students who meet the criteria outlined above;
- Duplicate the parent/carer letter and consent form and distribute to the parents/carer of those students;
- Collect the student details forms once complete, ensuring they have been signed by a parent/carer;
- Fill out your nomination form, identifying the priority order of your student nominations (we may not be able to accommodate all nominations) and also identify those teachers who wish to attend as helpers;
- Return the nomination form and the completed consent forms for all nominated students to either firstname.lastname@example.org, or posted to Great North Maths Hub at the address below by Friday 21st July.
Great North Maths Hub c/o Churchill Community College, Churchill Street, Wallsend, NE28 7TN
You will be notified by 2nd August which students have been successful and place the remaining students on a waiting list. The GNMH will be contacting the parents directly to confirm if places have been offered, so please check this information has been received when you return to school in September.