Please note the submission date for this event has been extended to 17th January 2020
For schools in Northumberland on the theme: ‘Standing Together’
27 January is the day for everyone to remember the six million Jewish people murdered in the Holocaust, and the millions of other people including people persecuted for being disabled, for their religious or political beliefs or their ethnic origin or for their sexual orientation. All the people killed under Nazi Persecution, and in the genocides which followed in Cambodia, Rwanda, Bosnia, and Darfur are commemorated.
27 January is the day Auschwitz-Birkenau, the largest Nazi death camp was liberated.
In Northumberland we are asking for pieces of creative writing on the theme of ‘Standing Together‘. This is an opportunity for young people to reflect on those whose lives were changed beyond recognition, and to challenge prejudice, discrimination and hatred in our own society.
We are asking all schools in Northumberland to participate by choosing one piece of poetry or creative writing to represent that school.
If you would like to enter please send your schools entries on the theme of ‘Standing Together’ by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading HMD 2019. Entries are open from 10 December 2019 – 10 January 2020.
For more information on Holocaust Memorial Day please see link: https://www.hmd.org.uk/
A selection of entries received will be used at Northumberland County Council’s Holocaust Memorial Day event at the end of January.
Conditions of entry:
The Theme is ‘Standing Together’’ entries can be poems or short stories but must be submitted by email and can be no larger than 500 words.
- Participation is open to all schools in Northumberland.
- Schools may only submit one piece of creative writing.
- The closing date, by which all entries must be submitted is Friday 10 January 2020 at 4:30pm, entries will not be accepted after this.
- Each entry must be clearly labelled with the authors name, and school along with a contact address/telephone number for the school.
- All entries will receive a personal certificate and one for the school, and we may invite representatives from schools to the Holocaust Memorial Day event at County Hall to read out their piece.
- All entries must be submitted by email to email@example.com with the subject heading HMD 2019.
- Entries must be no longer than 500 words.
- Entries submitted may be used by Northumberland County Councils own promotional purposes and may be used in an online video of shortlisted works.
- Northumberland County Council will host the chosen pieces at the Holocaust memorial event at County Hall
- Press releases may be issued for Northumberland County Council’s memorial events and these may include reference or inclusion of the entries received. Press photographers will be invited to all events
Copies of Entries should be sent by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Personal data collected will only be used to communicate with those submitting their work and will only be retained until 31 January 2020. With the consent of participants or their parents or guardians if participant is under 16, names and photographs/videos of their work may be included in publicising the event or an online exhibition.