The DfE have published documentation for governors during the COVID-19 outbreak. Click here to access.
The NGA have also published guidance about conducting online meetings, available here.
The NGA’s document, “The governing board’s role in the safe opening of schools for more pupils” is available here.
The NGA’s Frequently Asked Questions is available here.
Please contact your clerk if you have any queries.
Thank you for your continued support of our schools in Northumberland. The time you give and leadership you provide are crucial in improving the attainment and achievement of the young people in the county.
Websites to support your work:
- Ofsted Guidance
- Governance handbook (DfE)
- National Governors’ Association: Guidance Centre
- The DfE’s main page for LA maintained school governors
National Leaders of Governance:
National Leaders of Governance (NLGs) are experienced chairs of governors who are chosen, trained and designated by NCTL (National College for Teaching and Leadership) to offer support and advice to governors in all schools. They work closely with Dioceses, LAs, teaching schools, MATs and other bodies providing support for schools. There are currently 2 active NLGs in Northumberland:
- Jo Holmes – Corbridge Middle School
- Paul Carvin – Three Rivers Learning Trust
They can offer advice in a specific process e.g. academy conversion, mentor new chairs, do health checks of governing body practice, or help prepare governors for inspection. Some NLGs also do external reviews of governance. Their support is free to all schools. More information is available from the NLG advocate, Julia Millard, who can be contacted via the website http://www.nlgnortheast.co.uk
Publications to Support Your Work:
- Improving Governance – Ofsted (December 2016)
- Improving Governance Presentation – Ofsted (November 2016)
- Governance and Inspection Presentation – Ofsted (October 2016)
- Skills Audit & Matrix – National Governors Association (March 2017)
- What Governing Boards Should Expect From School Leaders – ASCL/LGA/NAHT/NGA (June 2017)
- Education Acronyms – A Guide for Governors – Northumberland LA (September 2017)
- Code of Conduct for School Governing Bodies – Northumberland LA
- Governor Welcome Pack – Northumberland LA (updated October 2019)
- Constitution of governing bodies of maintained schools: statutory guidance (DfE)
- Being Strategic – A guide for governing boards – NGA
- Terms of Reference for Committees – Northumberland LA
- Understanding your data: A guide for school governors and academy trustees – DfE
- Possible Ofsted Questions for Governors – (January 2020)
- Creating the right dynamic – A guide to help governing boards work effectively as a team – NGA
- 8 Elements of Effective Governance – NGA
You may wish to sign up for Governance Support, a regular newsletter that contains information on a wide range of issues relating to school and academy governance. It is written by Fiona Stagg, a National Leader of Governance from North Staffordshire. A recent edition of the newsletter is here. There is a link at the very bottom where you can sign up should you wish to.
Supporting Pupils with Medical Conditions policy (look under policy and guidance documents)